Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Paleo Waffle Recipe

Paleo Plantain Waffle Recipe



Paleo Plantain Flour Waffle Recipe ( AIP, Gluten Free )


Today I am sharing today my favorite recipe that I have created on my Paleo Journey. This recipe is for Plantain Waffles made with Plantain Flour. Are you ready to have your mind blown?!?! If you have tried other Plantain waffle recipes I am sure you know the pain and possible disappointment in cooking them. They have always turned into mush cakes for me. And no matter how long I cooked them they would not solidify.


Have no fear! Plantain flour is here! I know I am super cheesy right? But, in all seriousness if you are on the Paleo diet and adding in the AIP rules then you know the pain of finding tasty breakfast options. Plantain Flour is helpful in making the journey easier. So far, I have found it can be used 1:1 ratio to recipes that call for regular flour types. I will say it does have a heavier density to it, so I have added some coconut flour to this recipe to help lighten up the overall waffle. You can use all Plantain flour if you cannot have coconut flour.

I discovered Plantain flour while searching for recipes one day. But, I will say their are not a lot of options for ordering it. Thankfully, I found a source on Amazon. Barry Farms sells a 1lb bag that is available with Prime shipping. Also, you can purchase the product straight from Barry Farms web page. After I purchased the 1lb bag from Amazon, I bought a 5lb bag from them directly. I would say start off with a small bag and make sure it works well for your recipes and cooking. But, I am sure it will. Links are at the bottom of this page for ordering and information. 

One other thing about his recipe. I use homemade coconut milk. I have yet to find a store brand in a carton or can that does not have some type of stabilizer or additive that doesn't cause a reaction for me. Easy fix is to make your own with coconut flakes. My favorite brand to use is Let's Do Organic Coconut Flakes. They are a great brand with no added sugar. The link to Amazon is at the bottom, or you can find them at Publix and Whole Foods to buy locally. I buy in bulk on Amazon and pay 2.75 a bag.

When making coconut milk use a 1:2 ratio of coconut to hot water. So for this recipe you need a 1/2 cup of coconut to 1  cup of hot (but not boiling water). Place in your blender or a Ninja is what I use for 2-3 minutes or until creamy consistency. Then you can strain the milk through a nut milk bag, cheese cloth, or I use a potato ricer. The milk lasts about 3-4 days and you can use the just made milk in this recipe or refrigerated. If you are using the just made, allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes. Here are the directions for homemade coconut milk from coconut flakes:


Homemade Coconut Milk


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup Coconut Flakes
  • 1 cup Hot Water
  •  
Cooking Directions

  1. 1. Place both ingredients in your blender and blend for a few minutes until creamy.
  2. 2. Strain through a nut milk bag, cheese cloth, or a potato ricer.


Now for the waffle recipe and directions. A few tips on this recipe. If you are using only Plantain flour you should only need 3/4 cup coconut milk. But, have the full cup available if your batter is too thick. Also, as you will read you need to wait to add the vinegar until the last possible moment. The reaction that occurs between the baking soda and vinegar only last for about 5 minutes. After that it starts to make the batter flat and dense when it cooks. So, have everything heated and ready to cook before adding that to the final batter. I only have a Belgian waffle maker and it does not have changeable heat settings. If you have a regular waffle maker and adjustable heat settings I would think this will work well. But, you will have to be the judge on heat level and overall cooking times.




Plantain Waffle Recipe


Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup Plantain flour
  • 1/4 cup Coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • 3/4 to 1 cup Coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp Maple syrup or Honey
  • 1/4 cup Applesauce
  • 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar

Cooking Directions
  1. 1. Combine plantain flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda in one bowl.
  2. 2. In another bowl combine 3/4 cup coconut milk, maple syrup, and applesauce.
  3. 3. Wait to add the apple cider vinegar to the wet ingredients.
  4. 4. Preheat your waffle iron and spray with your favorite healthy Paleo oil.
  5. 5. After the waffle iron is preheated add the vinegar to your wet ingredients and mix well.
  6. 6. Now, combine your wet and dry ingredients and stir well until they come together.
  7. 7. Once the wet and dry ingredients are mixed you want a thick batter and not a thin batter.
  8. 8. Add 1 tablespoon at a time of coconut milk until the correct consistency is achieved. I add about 2-3 Tbsp (see photos).
  9. 9. Add large spoonfuls of batter to each section of your waffle maker.
  10. 10. Flip waffle maker over if yours has that capability and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  11. 11. This recipe will make 1 full Belgian waffle and 1/4 of a waffle. The same cooking time applies to each portion size.
Printable Version

Here are some picture steps to help in the cooking process:

 This is how your batter should look at the end of Step 8
after adding extra coconut milk.

 This is Step 9, adding large spoonfuls of batter to your waffle maker.

This is at the end of Step 10, hooray!!!!!

Light and Fluffy goodness :)

Time to EAT!!!!!!!!!!


I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it. Let me know if you try it without coconut milk and your substitutions. I think I would make these everyday, but I try to limit them to the weekends for a treat. I have yet to make pancakes because I am so obsessed with the waffle maker. Leave me a comment if you try it as a pancake batter.

Please feel free to share this recipe and I hope you don't mind to credit my page. This recipe was made with love and care and was meant to be shared.


This recipe is featured on the Phoenix Helix recipe round up.

Below are the links to the items on Amazon and Barry Farms directly that you may need for this recipe.
Barry Farms Plantain Flour - scroll down to find Plantain Flour item





**Disclosure: Purchasing items through the Amazon links above I receive a very small advertising fee from Amazon. But, you do not pay a price difference and the items are purchased exactly the same way as a regular Amazon item. Thanks for your support!** 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram Feed @paleofit_gal

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Piyo

Powered by Blogger.