Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe



Fall is here and our family is enjoy the fall season of fresh vegetables that are available. Also, the weather and the fall foliage is beautiful this year in East Tennessee. This was our drive through the mountains this weekend. Where we live the colors are spectacular this year. I hope you have great fall foliage you are enjoying too. (Don't worry my hubby was driving!).

Fall leaves and scenary

One of my new favorite finds is the Acorn Squash. I walked into Whole Foods one day and they had a huge display of Butternut and Acorn squash for sale. My first instinct was to grab the Butternut, but I decided instead to grab 2 Acorn squash to try. I figured I could stuff them with something tasty for an easy dinner. The one thing was I didn't really pick up extra ingredients for the "stuffed" portion of the recipe. That led to an interesting first try at Stuffed Acorn Squash.

I will share two versions of this recipe, the more put together ingredients recipe and my use what was in the fridge leftover version. Both were very tasty and delicious. This is an easy go to meal for the middle of a busy week. For the apples in this recipe I used a small apple called a Lady Apple. They reminded me of a less bitter/tart McIntosh. I think that any fall apple will go well with this recipe, but I would not recommend a sweet apple. Also a few things to clear up on this recipe and AIP eating. You want to watch out for nightshades in your sausage that you choose. Most store brand sausages add spices and red pepper to their mix for flavor and you want to avoid these. I purchase a local source that I have double checked for their ingredients. When in doubt just make your own or ask the company or source for help with the ingredients. Also, I have come to find out pepper is not allowed on the AIP list of ingredients. This is new for me and I am making the change to this recipe and my food list I have provided in the past. I enjoy that fellow AIP followers are helping me out on my journey, thanks!


Stuffed Acorn Squash
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients (2 servings)
  • 2 medium Acorn Squash
  • 1/2 pound Sausage (pork or beef and nightshade free)
  • 1/4 cup Onion, chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 small apple, cored and chopped
  • salt and garlic to taste, or other approved AIP spices

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF
2. Cut Squash in half and remove seeds.
3. Drizzle your favorite Paleo oil and seasoning on the squash and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, checking about 20-30 minutes to make sure it is not overcooking.
You want it to be tender, but still hold its shape.
5. Cook your pork or beef sausage and drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
6. Chop your stuffing ingredients and heat the drippings pan over a medium heat.
7. Add onion and celery to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
8. Now, add in your apple and cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add back in your sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes and stirring well.
10. Season with salt and garlic or other AIP spices and mix well.
11. Place large spoonfuls in each section of your squash. They will be full and almost overflowing.
12. Place the stuffed squash back in the oven and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

Here is the printable version Stuffed Acorn Squash







Here is my leftovers = tasty stuffed acorn squash recipe.I had broccoli left over from a few nights before and the artichoke hearts were Trader Joe's frozen brand.
 
Stuffed Acorn Squash II
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients
  • 2 acorn squash
  • 1/2 pound sausage (pork or beef and nightshade free)
  • 1/2 cup precooked broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 cup thawed artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
  • salt and garlic to taste, or other approved AIP spices

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF
2. Cut Squash in half and remove seeds.
3. Drizzle your favorite Paleo oil and seasoning on the squash and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, checking about 20-30 minutes to make sure it is not overcooking.
You want it to be tender, but still hold its shape.
5. Cook your pork or beef sausage and drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
6. Thaw frozen artichoke hearts and roughly chop.
7. Heat the drippings pan over a medium heat.
8. Add back in your sausage and add the artichoke hearts and broccoli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
9. Season with salt and garlic or other AIP spices and mix well.
10. Place large spoonfuls in each section of your squash. They will be full and almost overflowing.
11. Place the stuffed squash back in the oven and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

Here is the printable version Stuffed Acorn Squash II
Why am I posting the 2nd version I made? I wanted to show you how versatile the acorn squash are. I think any type of ground style protein and veggies will work well with the stuffed acorn squash. I really liked my leftover version, while my husband said both were good but he preferred the more planned out recipe. Either way enjoy cooking and eating your acorn squash!


This recipe is featured on Phoenix Helix Roundtable 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram Feed @paleofit_gal

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Piyo

Powered by Blogger.